A selection of online charities and support groups that really do help.

The cancer charity Cancer BACUP offers excellent counselling for people experiencing cancer in the family.

For any relationship worries, including sexual problems, Relate can help.

The UK College of Family Mediators or National Family Mediation have mediators who can help you settle any breakdown of relationship, whether between a couple, within a family or between friends or neighbours. If you live in Scotland, try Family Mediation Scotland on 0131 220 1610.

The UKfpa can help on all aspects of sex, sexuality and contraception.

If you’re having difficulty with access to abortion, or emergency contraception, the charity British Pregnancy Advisory Service can help.

Brook provide youth advisory and birth control clinics for young people. They offer sexual advice, do pregnancy tests and offer help and support for unplanned and unwanted pregnancy.

Mental Health Foundation can offer support on all aspects of mental health.

Young Minds can help with worries over the emotional well-being of a child and suggest where you can get help.

Eating Disorders Association offer support and self-help to anyone suffering from anorexia, bulimia or any other eating disorder, or their families.

Parentline Plus gives support and telephone counselling to anyone in a parenting situation, whether you’re married and whether or not the kids live with you full-time, whatever the worry or anxiety.

The NSPCC can help with sexual or any other type of child abuse. Their Child Protection Helpline is a free, 24 hour service which provides counselling, information and advice for anyone concerned about a child at risk of abuse on 0800 800 500.

Bullying Online helps with problems with bullying, as does The UK National Workplace Bullying Advice Line. There is also a US site for the Campaign Against Workplace Bullying.

YouthNet UK is a source of information for young people about help, advice or opportunities.

For help with any aspect of child care contact The Daycare Trust, the national childcare charity.

Home-Start, for help and support for families with at least one child under 5.

One In Four is a service run for and by people who have experienced sexual abuse.

Citizens Advice Bureau are the best people to ask for any practical problems, such as worries about money, housing or legal matters, and will have people to help you or ideas of where you can go next.

The Samaritans online, if you need someone to hear you when you’re in despair.

The Beaumont Society is the largest and longest established transgendered support group in the UK, with a support network which is at the forefront of the transgender, transvestite , transsexual and cross dressing community

The London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard is an information, support and referral service for lesbians, gay men and bisexual people from all backgrounds throughout the United Kingdom

The Terrence Higgins Trust has HIV/AIDS information, advice and support.